Where to Stay?—It Depends on Which Workshop you Attend.
HERE ARE SOME ACCOMMODATIONS TO CONSIDER.
The Monarch Hotel has long been our hotel of choice for workshop students.
“The Monarch Hotel offers great value to Palmer/Pletsch students. The rooms are lovely, and Tammy Thompson — the Sales Manager, will make sure your stay is pleasant and your needs are met. If this hotel were in the city center, it would cost $200 a night.” — Pati Palmer
The current rate is $119 with suites at $169. You may request a queen, king, or double queen.
The hotel gives you a daily coupon for a 10% discount on meals at their restaurant, Sam’s, and they offer a shuttle bus that will ferry you to and from the airport as well as to nearby malls for no extra charge (the hotel is across the street from one of the best shopping malls in our area with a Nordstrom’s and a Macy’s and is also near a huge discount mall). All rooms have Serta Pillow Top beds and upgraded linens. You can get a pass for the local athletic club that is nearby. The hotel includes 192 rooms on 3 floors with elevators, restaurant, and lounge. The interior rooms face a courtyard and waterfall and are quieter. There is an outdoor seasonal swimming pool. There is an adjacent 20-mile paved jogging path and guest discount passes to nearby East SideAthletic Club. You can go to the hotel’s website to see the amenities.
To reserve a room call 1-800-492-8700, or e-mail the hotel directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them you are with Palmer/Pletsch and request the “Palmer/Pletsch rate.” If you have a roommate, please give them that name as well. You will get the special Palmer/Pletsch rate (plus hotel tax). We hope you will enjoy your stay and be rested for a fun and information-filled workshop!
The rate includes:
- Airport pickup at baggage claim. For pickup areas and wait time call 1-800-492-8700 after collecting luggage. Vans say Monarch on the side.
- Amtrak pickup. For pickup in Oregon City, three miles away, call the number above. (There is no pay phone – please use your cell phone.) From the downtown Portland Amtrak Station, take the MAX Green Line to Clackamas Town Center and call the hotel for pick-up.
- Room service from 6:00am to 9:00pm. Food is available in the lounge until 2:00am .
- A 10% off coupon per person per day for use in Sam’s Restaurant in the hotel for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- In-room coffee pot, regular ironing board, iron, hairdryer, refrigerator, and data ports for you laptop. Laundry valet and/or self-service facilities, fax and copy service are available. (A washer and dryer in are the hotel in case you need to preshrink fabric.)
- Free local calls and free Wi-Fi.
- Safety deposit boxes at front desk and an ATM on property.
- There are several restaurants and malls within walking distance. If you are taking the Fit Workshop, you might go to Nordstrom and get a bra fitted to you. Check out the Walco brand.
Enterprise Rental Car will deliver to the hotel and the rates are better than at the airport due to airport taxes.
The Monarch offers van pick-up at the airport. Uber and Lyft are the most reasonable ways to get the other locations from the airport.
If you want to be closer to workshops held at Coolhand Studio in Southeast Portland, we suggest the following guesthouses:
THE DIVISION INNS
3860 SE Clinton St., Portland, Oregon 97202
Reception: 503-206-6509 or toll free 877-600-6509
3517 SE Division St., Portland, Oregon 97202
Reception: 503-235-3089 or toll free 866-717-4333
If you want to be closer to workshops held at Sew-Op, across the river in Vancouver, Washington:
The Briar Rose Inn
a 1908 Craftsman style home listed on the Local Historic Register. This inn is within easy walking distance from the workshop location (8 blocks).
314 W 11th St.
Vancouver, WA 98660
The Hilton Vancouver
This hotel, across from Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver, is .7 miles from the workshop location.
301 W 6th St.
Vancouver, WA 98660
Homewood Suites by Hilton
This hotel is located on the Columbia River, 2.2 miles from the workshop location. A scenic promenade along the river leads to a pedestrian walkway into downtown Vancouver.
701 SE Columbia Shores Blvd.
Vancouver, WA 98661
The Heathman Lodge
This rustic hotel has lots of character, but you’ll need transportation to the workshop, since it is 4.9 miles away.
7801 NE Greenwood Dr.
Vancouver, WA 98662