The Palmer/Pletsch Portland Sewing School workshops are held in a spacious classroom in the Fabric Depot, a wonderful fabric store in southeast Portland, close to hotels and the airport. They have a huge selection of fashion, quilting, and home decorating fabrics. For "shopping convenience" you may run a tab, which means no waiting in lines for purchases, and they will ship your purchases home. Some workshop attendees even ship their laundry and pack their fabrics!
700 Southeast 122nd Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
The hotel provides transportation to and from the workshop each day. In the classroom we offer coffee, water, and snacks, and, at midday, a wonderful lunch (see the rave reviews at right!). We have some machines to loan if you cannot bring your own. Notebooks and most sample-making supplies are included in Beginning Fashion Sewing Teacher Training Workshop.
A bring list of what you need to bring, along with other information is available as a pdf, just click on the bring list link above. If you have the Palmer/Pletsch book that is being used as a reference for the class, bring it. We have found that most people have the books, so we are no longer including them. (It is a way to keep our prices the same as they have been.) We recommend the spiral versions. Fabric Depot does carry them
We'll have a celebratory lunch on the last day of each workshop - a time to share information and receive your graduation certificates. Then back to work on your projects until 5:00pm
Workshop Attendees LOVE the food!
Our caterer, Jody, gets rave reviews for the lunches she provides during our workshops:
"I ate things I would never have tried and I think it's great she is allowed to just cook as she wishes for the classes."
"Excellent. Very sensitive to everyone's needs. Healthy and tasty. Great presentation."
"Yummers! Great ideas and combos."
"Excellent. Very accommodating to the needs of the group and it was delicious."
Teacher Training is available in conjunction the Fit and Pant Fit workshops. The Fit and Pant Fit class descriptions pages have more information available as well as how to sign up!
OTHER OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES
FABRIC SHOPPING TOUR
This is an optional program offered the day following the workshop. We have so many unique fabric stores—more per capita than most cities in the world. The day after the workshop Pati Palmer and Marta Alto will be your guides transporting you to and helping you shop at our best stores. Lunch at one of Portland's culinary experiences is included. We will pick you up at the hotel at 9:15 to take you to fabric stores, lunch, and back to hotel by 6:00. (A minimum of 4 people is needed to offer the shopping trip.)
HAVE YOUR COLORS DONE
If it has been years since you’ve had your colors done or if you never have, Ethel Harms is an amazing image consultant who has developed her own color and cosmetic line. This is not a “canned” color palette. Ethel hand builds your palette according to your hair, eyes, and skin colors. If you make an appointment with her the day or evening before the workshop, she will bring you your color palette two days later and show you how to shop with it. Or, book with her any available evening during the workshop.
Ethel will give you the names of the others (up to 4) who have signed up at the same time and you can contact each other and cab to her studio about 15 minutes from the hotel. She will give you the cab information. E-mail Ethel at email@example.com for an appointment or call 503/699-5501. Color Analysis price for Palmer/Pletsch Workshop Students is $175. For more about Ethel Harms, visit www.yourimageconsultant.com.
TOUR THE AREA
If you have time to tour our beautiful region before or after the workshop, here are some suggestions you can look up to see what interests you. You can drive the “loop” going up the Gorge on Highway 84 to Hood River, turn up to Mt. Hood, visit Timberline Lodge and drive back to Portland on Highway 26. We are also only 1 1/2 hours from the coast. The MAX line to downtown is just across from the Monarch Hotel. The Spirit of Portland has a wonderful lunch and dinner river cruise that is quite reasonable and showcases why we are called the "city of bridges"!
WHERE TO STAY?
I-205 at Sunnyside Road/Sunnybrook Blvd.
12566 SE 93rd Avenue
503-652-1515 -- 1-800-492-8700
Pati Palmer says: "The Monarch Hotel offers great value to Palmer/Pletsch students. The rooms are lovely, and Tammy Thompson, the Sales Manager, will make sure your stay is pleasant and your needs are met. If this hotel were in the city center, it would cost $200 a night."
The current rates are $99 for a single/double rooms, a triple, or a quad, and $149 for suites plus tax, for single or double occupancy. You may request a queen, king, or double queen.
The hotel gives you a daily coupon for a 10% discount on meals at their restaurant, Sam's, and they offer a shuttle bus that will ferry you to and from the airport and the classroom at the Fabric Depot as well as to nearby malls for no extra charge (the hotel is across the street from one of the best shopping malls in our area with a Nordstrom's and a Macy's and is also near a huge discount mall). All rooms have Serta Pillow Top beds and upgraded linens. You can get a pass for the local athletic club that is nearby. You can go to the hotel's website to see the amenities.
To reserve a room call 1-800-492-8700, or e-mail the hotel directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them you are with Palmer/Pletsch and request the "Palmer/Pletsch rate." If you have a roommate, please give them that name as well. You will get the special Palmer/Pletsch rate (plus hotel tax). We hope you will enjoy your stay and be rested for a fun and information-filled workshop!
The rate includes:
- Airport pickup at baggage claim. For pickup areas and wait time call 1-800-492-8700 after collecting luggage. Vans say Monarch on the side.
- Amtrak pickup. For pickup in Oregon City, three miles away, call the number above. (There is no pay phone - please use your cell phone.) From the downtown Portland Amtrak Station, take the MAX Green Line to Clackamas Town Center and call the hotel for pick-up.
- Room service from 6:00am to 9:00pm . Food is available in the lounge until 2:00am .
- A 10% off coupon per person per day for use in Sam's Restaurant in the hotel for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- In-room coffee pot, regular ironing board, iron, hairdryer, refrigerator, and data ports for you laptop. Laundry valet and/or self-service facilities, fax and copy service are available. (A washer and dryer in are the hotel in case you need to preshrink fabric.)
- Free local calls and free Wi-Fi.
- Safety deposit boxes at front desk and an ATM on property.
- Shuttle to Fabric Depot at 8:45 am first day and Sundays; 8:15am other days so you can have some shopping time before class. The return is at 6:00pm except last day at 5:00pm .
- There are several restaurants and malls within walking distance. If you are taking the Fit Workshop, you might go to Nordstrom and get a bra fitted to you. Check out the Walco brand.
- Enterprise Rental Car will deliver to the hotel and the rates are better than at the airport due to airport taxes.
- The hotel includes 192 rooms on 3 floors with elevators, restaurant, and lounge. The interior rooms face a courtyard and waterfall and are quieter.
- It also has an outdoor seasonal swimming pool. There is an adjacent 20-mile paved jogging path and guest discount passes to nearby East Side